Copyright © 2014-2016 Abbey Veterinary Group. All Rights Reserved.
Website designed by Webtouch Ltd www.webtouch.co.uk
How important is proper nutrition?
The right diet is vital to keep your dog fit and healthy. Poor nutrition accounts for a remarkably high percentage of the health problems we see. These include vomiting, diarrhoea, flatulence, obesity, dental problems, growth deformities, heart, kidney and skin problems.
What type of diet should I feed?
• Homemade diets – These are rarely nutritionally balanced or complete. They are relatively difficult to prepare and can be expensive.
• Commercial diets - quality diets are convenient and are nutritionally balanced. We recommend the Vet Complex range of diets which contain no colouring, artificial flavours or bulking agents. They are manufactured using only high quality natural ingredients.
Is wet or dry food better?
Dry food is more cost-effective and helps to keep the teeth and gums healthy. Tinned food or pouches have a much higher water content which means that more may be required to satisfy your pet’s appetite. However, some pets find tinned food or pouches more palatable and easier to digest.
Which brand should I choose?
There are many different life stage diets to consider. The Vet Complex range offers a high quality range of diets for dogs that are tailored to meet their individual nutritional needs. Our healthcare nurses would be happy to advise you on the best diet for your dog.
Baby dog - This diet is a complete veterinary formulated nutrition for puppies from weaning and for pregnant/lactating bitches. Puppies have an absolute requirement for balanced growth, particularly in terms of energy, protein and minerals. At this stage the digestive system is delicate and the immune system immature.
Junior dog - This diet is designed to provide the extra nutrients needed by growing puppies yet avoiding the excesses that often lead to obesity, as well as bone and cartilage deformities that larger breed dogs are particularly prone to.
Adult dog - This diet provides all the nutritional requirements of an adult pet while reducing the risk of obesity. It also contains Chondroitin sulphate and Chitosan to help maintain joint mobility, and an amino acid to help promote urinary health.
Senior dog - This diet is designed for pets from 7 years old. It caters for the more relaxed lifestyle of the older pet helping him/her to remain in good shape while keeping the skin, coat and internal organs in good health.With added health benefits to help maintain enhanced mobility, alertness and vision support.
• Poor nutrition may lead to health problems
• A natural diet needs to be carefully formulated
• Different life stages and styles have different nutritional requirements
• Always make fresh water available
• Commercial diets are advised as they have been developed to include the nutrition your dog needs to be healthy
• We recommend Vet Complex range of diets as they contain only high quality natural ingredients
Treatment of sick and injured animals is obviously a very important part of our work, but we are great believers in preventative medicine.